Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ninfo Period 6

In reference to "Humans Need Not Apply" video, how can these realities impact the way you think about your future?

25 comments:

  1. The video really made me concerned about my future. It was kind of depressing, to think that a machine could take my job. In the future I'm going to use this information when deciding which jobs I want to apply for (to make sure I won't be replaced by a machine) and what I want to go to college to study. Why study for a profession that won't even be available when I'm ready to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I think is that humans and robots will be integrated in many professions. For example, robot surgeons may work alongside human surgeons in the operating room. I want to be a film critic when I grow up, and since I do not believe that a robotic Roger Ebert will come around.

      Delete
    2. I think the video just makes you really think about the career you want to pursue in now.

      Delete
  2. I am a little afraid, but not really. The worst thing I can imagine isnt people out of a job because of the bots, but because if nobody has a job, then nobody will be able to pay for the products being sold by these companies with robot laborers, creating an economic disaster. I propose that there is integration between humans and bots. My opinion may change if there are robots that are just like humans (sentience/ability to feel love nd emotions). Then there could be an entire bot/human society, not just in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These realities impact the way I think about my future in many ways. One way in my future career. A majority of the careers we can picture our future self's doing could be nonexistent by the time we enter the workforce. Preparing for a career is also effected. Some careers take years of training, and as we're training and learning the required skills, technology is "learning" or being developed to do the same skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. These are completely legitimate concerns. It makes me really think about my education after high school.

      Delete
  4. It makes me wonder whether or not a post-secondary learning experience(college) is worth it. If robots will be doing our jobs, then what is the point. It is hard enough for most Americans to compete with people in India and China for jobs, now robots?!? If robots are now in the workforce, how will humans be able to keep up and keep jobs? The only people who will be able to have jobs would be the inventors of the robots. Until the robots replace them. So what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These realities impact the way that I will be thinking about my future because these are new and upcomining issues. The fact that robots are being created to do most jobs that I will be going to college for is scary. It makes me question whether or not I will actually need to go to college anymore if the degree for a job I'm trying to get will be taken over by a robot somewhere. I know that I will eventually end up going to college just to further my education but this video has concerned me with what I'm going to be doing after college. The only way that I am trying to think about this video is that hopefully robots don't end up taking my job away from me in the near future or at all. I feel as though enginners might eventually think to themselves " hey these robots are replacing everyone else's job we should probably stop because soon our population will be out of a job"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree. Kind of like what Colleen said on here too, we need to be concerned about what type of education we will have after high school.

      Delete
  6. I think that it impacts my future in many ways. One way in which it effects my future, is that robots will be taking over a lot of the jobs that are open for me. That means that there will be less jobs and and it will be harder to get a job. To me that means that I have to work harder in order to to make sure that i have a good job in the future. Another thing that it impacts my future, is that there will probably be a lit of new jobs that people are going to have to think of. People will create new robots and there will have to be people who actually make the robots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it makes us human look very bad. They basically called us lazy and that robots are controlling this world. If robots control this world, then the person who made the robot is the only one getting money, because there is no need to get other workers to work if robots already are taking their place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention that if people don't have jobs, nobody can afford to pay for the products these robot-made businesses are selling.

      Delete
  8. It is hard to think about the future now but listening to that video, technology is really increasing throughout the country. It is hard to think that robots could be the next human meaning doing the same labor that humans do. The robots are keep being made and they have abilities that humans have. Humans and robots could be alike someday if the robots keep getting upgraded. Humans and robots could have the same abilities someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know realize that my future is as secure as it use to be. I might not be needed to do a job or to do any work that I would have liked to. There are machines that can easily take my place and take my job, which means that my schooling and education would mean nothing and there would not have been any purpose to it. The teachers today mostly say that we will do wonderful things given the technology we have and will create, but what we are creating could be replacing us, which makes us worth nothing to those above us. Having machines to replace us will definitely make life easier, but also a lot harder. Not being useful is a general fear of us. We all need to be needed. If we don't have a purpose, what do we have?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to say that if machines are continuously becoming more advanced, and are easily cheaper than employing a human, then I would say that the future of jobs is in jeopardy. A robot that can complete a job in half the time of a human, and is easily more cost efficient than a human, is the most effective choice.Tasks that no human wants to do are jobs an unpaid robot will do, and without complaining. A human is fallible more times than a robot, therefore, robots are superior in this case. Therefore, robots will take our jobs, and at a fast and steady rate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This video makes me want to find a job that will keep humans working instead of robots doing work for us. And make sure my job can never be taken over by a robot leaving me out of a job. How will people keep there jobs if robots are taking more and more of them, there will be more unemployment and the people in charge of the robots and company owners will be the only people making money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The reality of the advancements with robots changed the way I think about my future. It changed it because the thought of going to college and getting a job really makes me want to do well in school. But, if robots are going to be able to do everything in the future it makes me think to myself why I'm in school if I'm not going to be able to have a bright future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree,with robots taking over the world, who knows what the future beholds.

      Delete
  13. I agree with jake, jobs will be in jeopardy because robots are faster producers than humans and they dont need to be paid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The realities shown in the "Humans Need Not Apply" video can change the way you think about your future. After realizing that in the future robots could do almost everyone's job for free. This would mean that people would not longer need to work, and when people don't need jobs or have to do most things manually education almost seems pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When considering my own future I of course have to ask myself is everything I am doing to work towards my dreams just a true waste of time? I mean our society tells us to focus on our "future" which most of us know as work hard, get the best grades possible, and get into a good college. Are my accomplishments really even accomplishments if everything I do could be done at a quicker pace by a robot? Lets say 300 years from now robots control the workforce and humans are not needed anymore. Before machines the horses had to work hard to get people where they needed to go but now they lie around all day. In not having as much work to do the human race would have a lot more leisure time which we would use to be more creative, or interact with more people. We would be able to meet people from all around the world and learn their cultures and ways of life. Life in itself would be better we would have more time and money and products so countries with people living in poverty would rise, the poor would be taken off the streets. So while yes, there wont be jobs available for us we wont need jobs or money because with the robots working items will just be there for us to take and then there would be less inequality since there wouldn't be a rich or poor class system since the amount of money in your bank would be irrelevant. But then again the robots could become too intelligent and takeover. This is kind of far fetched but who knows. Also if something in the system of robots goes wrong or fails sometime in the future generation the people may be to unskilled to help solve the problem or even to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I think about my future, I picture going to work everyday, doing a job, and earning money so me and my family can live a comfortable life. After realizing that technology will eventually take all the jobs, that image changes. If machines can do everything, why will there even be a need for humans to work, or even to make money? My thought on my future is not so clear. That video has almost made it unclear on what life will look like when I enter the job market. I am also unsure about education for a job. In the long run, it makes me wonder if an expensive college education will really be worth it. It is scary to imagine a life where everything is done by robots and they robots are better than everything humans can do. The video had definitely created some worries in my head about my future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This video made me scared for the world almost as if i wasn't going into a world that i wanted to be in the future. A lot of people will lose their jobs to robots. This isn't good for the USA at all for the people, the economy, and our culture and state of mind. I also didn't like how it said that robots ca do creative stuff because even though that's true that can't do creative stuff well at all the music recording in the video was expressionless and had no feeling or soul or emotion to it. Over all the video made me extremely angry. It gave me a dark future too look forward too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This can change the type of career you want to go for, keeping in mind the ability of being replaced. For example a career to avoid being replaced by a machine would be someone who designs robots that replace other peoples jobs. Simply put a robot designer would not design a robot to replace himself.

    ReplyDelete